We’re halfway through 2018 and it’s time for the Mid-Year Book Freak Out Tag! This tag was created by Chami @ IsThatChami.
Best Book(s) You’ve Read So Far in 2018
- Rush Duet by Vi Keeland and Penelope Ward – I fell in love with Rush and Gia’s story. I love their chemistry, character development and the romance was heartwarming and steamy. It was an emotional ride for these two as their relationship impeccably blossomed.
Best Sequel You’ve Read so far in 2018
- Mafiosa by Catherine Doyle – If you haven’t read or continued this trilogy, please give it a chance. Blood for Blood trilogy is one of those series started as weak and ended strongly. Writing mafia books in YA can be challenging and there are triggering factors needed to be considered such as violence and crime, which are inappropriate for this age group. However, Catherine Doyle went all out and saved the best for last. I love the direction of the story and its improvement was commendable.
New Releases You Haven’t read Yet But Want To
Most Anticipated Releases for the Second Half of 2018
- The Chase by Elle Kennedy, Kill Switch by Penelope Douglas, Royally Yours by Emma Chase, Dirty Charmer by Emma Chase, All Your Perfects by Colleen Hoover, My Half-Night Stand by Christina Lauren, Josh and Hazel’s Guide to Not Dating by Christina Lauren, Wildcard by Marie Lu, Professor Feelgood by Leisa Rayven and Gabriel’s Inferno #4 (??Not sure if this will be released this year but who knows??) by Sylvain Reynard.
My Biggest Disappointment
- The Impossible Vastness of Us by Samantha Young – I didn’t finish this book because the characters were so annoying and the story was boring. It was a let down especially Samantha Young is one of my all time favorite authors.
- Dominic by L.A. Casey – It’s an awful enemies to lovers romance. I’m surprised I finished this one and I’m hesitant to continue the sequels.
- Spiders in the Grove by J.A. Redmerski – I can never be prepared with the plot twists this series have. I love it!
Favorite New to Me Authors
- I enjoyed Corinne Michaels and Mariana Zapata’s books this year. I am looking forward to read the rest of their books.
Newest Fictional Crush
- I love Rush from Rebel Heir / Rebel Heart by Vi Keeland and Penelope Ward. He’s so sweet okay? (T_T)
Newest Favorite Character
- Roman “Bane” Protsenko from Bane by L.J. Shen – To think he’s my least favorite character in the series, he just dethroned the original Four Hotholes (Vicious Spencer, Deal Cole, Jaime Followhill and Trent Rexroth) and my favorite guy Dean Cole. Damn, I’m impressed by this underdog.
Book That Made You Cry
- Marley and Me by John Grogan – I suddenly missed my pet dog Chyna. She’s a Japanese Spitz I had when I was in High School. 😦
Book That Made You Happy
- On Hart’s Boardwalk by Samantha Young – Despite of my disappointment to The Impossible Vastness of Us, this novella made me giddy. My favorite ODS couple, Nate and Liv returned and after all these years, they’re still the best couple for me. Sweetest and most romantic as EVER! GAAH! ❤
Most Beautiful Book You’ve Bought / Received
- I’ve won a copy of Roomies by Christina Lauren through Nissa’s (Of Pens and Pages ) giveaway. I love the cover and the story. ❤
Favorite Book to Movie Adaptation You’ve Seen This Year
- I’ve only seen Fifty Shades Freed this year. LOL. I have no choice… Bwahahahha!
Favorite Review You’ve Written So Far
- Check out my review for Bane by L.J. Shen (click here to read my review). I love writing my review for it because the characters were underdogs and became my favorites in the series.
What Books Do You Need to Read Before the Year Ends
- Aside from the books that were released and haven’t read yet and most anticipated books in the second half of 2018, I need to read The Girl Who Takes an Eye for an Eye by David Lagercrantz. I want to see what’s next for Mikhael Blomkvist and Lisbeth Salander.
That’s all everyone. Let me know if you have read any of these books or if you did the Mid-Year Book Freak Out Tag, leave your links in the comments so I can check it out! ❤ Have a fantastic week ❤
We’re halfway in the year of 2017 and the books I’ve read so far are quite hit and miss. To update you with my readings, I’ll be doing the Mid-Year Book Freak Out Tag which was created by ReadLikeWildFire & Ely Jane. (Click their names to watch their videos!)
Best book you’ve read so far in 2017.
- I have rated several books 5 stars but so far Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han remains on the top spot of my list. My wait for this book is all worth it. Hands. Down. Jenny Han is the best!
Best sequel you’ve read so far in 2017.
- Grievous by J.M. Darhower. It’s a wonderful conclusion to the Scarlet Scars duet but I want more! I WANT MORE LORENZO GAMBINI! MY PRECIOUS MAFIA MAN ❤
New release you haven’t read yet, but want to.
- Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia. I adore her debut novel Made You Up and I’m excited to read this one soon! 😀
Most anticipated release for the second half of the year.
- Fallen Heir by Erin Watt, Cracked Kingdom by Erin Watt, Everything Under the Sun by J.A. Redmerski, Royally Endowed by Emma Chase, Without Merit by Colleen Hoover, Enrage by Rachel Van Dyken, The Man in the Black Suit by Sylvain Reynard etc.
- The Princess Saves Herself in this One by Amanda Lovelace. I’m part of the minority who didn’t enjoy this poetry book. The topics tackled are good but the poems are bland.
- Away from the Dark by Aleatha Romig. I’m not a huge fan of mystery/thrillers but Aleatha Romig’s The Light duet put me on the edge of my seat! Jeez each chapter makes me nervous especially in this conclusion. I swear, it’s freaking good.
Favourite new authors. (Debut or new to you)
- Sally Thorne, Neal Shusterman, Sabaa Tahir, and Julie Buxbaum. I really enjoyed reading their books and I’m looking forward to read more!
Newest fictional crush.
- Jake Becker from Sustained by Emma Chase. He’s definitely one of my favorite SEXY BOOK HUSBAND. OMFG. Good Lord, he’s so good with the McQuaid kids. My favorite bunch of adorable rascals!
Newest Favorite Character
- Soraya Venedetta from Stuck-Up Suit by Vi Keeland and Penelope Ward. You gonna love Soraya because she’s sassy, independent and feisty woman. I love she gave Graham a hard time to get her.
Book that made you cry.
- The Air He Breathes by Brittainy C. Cherry. You can never go wrong with Brittainy C. Cherry when it comes to emotional books. When you’re going to read this one, you better grab some tissues.
Book that made you happy.
- The Hating Game by Sally Thorne. I live for this book’s sweet and funny moments. The banters between Lucy Hutton and Joshua Templeman = GOLD!
Favourite book to film adaptation you saw this year.
- I know I’m late but I love the movie adaptation of The Martian by Andy Weir. I watched it with my mom and she love it as well. (She didn’t know it’s from a book.
Favourite review you’ve written this year.
- Made by J.M. Darhower. I had so much fun expressing my thoughts about this book. Click here to read my review.
Most beautiful book you’ve bought so far this year (or received)
- Of course it’s Always and Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han. This cover is simply beautiful ❤ Love love love it!
What books do you need to read by the end of the year?
- I need to read Warcross by Marie Lu before this year ends. I haven’t read her books and I really miss it. I’m so excited to dive back in to her books!
I’m tagging everyone to do this tag! Have a lovely day bookworms 😉 ❤
I am tagged by Melissa @ In A Bookish World to do this tag (Thank you lovely!) am not going to miss it because Pokemon is one of my all time favorite games. ❤ This tag is created by the amazing Aentee @ Read At Midnight . Definitely check out her blog! ❤
Without further ado, let’s begin the Pokemon Go Book Tag!
- The first book that got me into reading was True Philippine Ghost Stories. This is a popular horror anthology series when I was in Elementary School. I read these books before I jumped in on actual novels like Heidi by Johanna Spyri, Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling (what really got me love to read more. First novel series that I owned) and Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer (what got me back to reading and here I am, still reading..)
- Classic novels may not be my forte but Inferno by Dante Alighieri is an exception. It’s challenging to read this book but I enjoyed it in the end. Also, Mythology by Edith Hamilton (I owe The Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan for motivating me to read this book)
- As of now, Throne of Glass series by Sarah J.Maas. I’ve only read the first book and I really enjoyed it. It’s a hyped series and people tend blurt out spoilers. I kinda lost my interest but who knows? I might pick it up again.
- In Flight by R.K. Lilley. It’s like a mash up Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James and Bared To You by Sylvia Day but the story gets better on its sequels which I loved.
- Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. I have the bind up edition of the 7 books and it’s pretty chunky and intimidating. The texts are small too.
- Recently, Broken Prince by Erin Watt kept me awake at night. It’s so freaking addicting. My anticipation was real.
- So many options, I ship Peter Kavinsky and Lara Jean Song Covey from To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han. Now that they have a third book.. I’m excited. 😉 More of these two lovebirds. ❤
- My favorite Pokemon ❤ (I adore Fire type pokemons.) Any book written by Kasie West are always fast-paced read and they’re romantic too.
- Another favorite Pokemon of mine. (Espeon as my favorite evolution) Can The Royals trilogy by Erin Watt have a spin-off series? Easton Royal as the main character? YES PLEASE.
- For someone who doesn’t read much Historical Fiction and Magical Realism, The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern surprised me with its awesome writing style, magical world and a little romance. It’s so enchanting that I want to be in that world.
- A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas. I heard amazing things about this book and I am looking forward to dive in despite of the hype. [Also it’s categorized as New Adult. You know how much I love NA books]
- My answer for this would be The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. The collector’s edition of that book is STUNNING. Also The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (though I haven’t read it but it’s pretty!)
- I’m excited to read Unscripted Joss Byrd by Lygia Day Peñaflor. I heard nothing but great things on it. Supporting Filipino Authors ❤
- For YA (10): J.K. Rowling, Jenny Han, Kasie West, Katie McGarry, Marie Lu, Veronica Rossi, Stephanie Perkins, Michelle Hodkin, Rick Riordan and Veronica Roth | For NA (10): J.A. Redmerski, Colleen Hoover, Abbi Glines, Tammara Webber, Elle Kennedy, Erin Watt (Elle Kennedy & Jen Frederick), Leisa Rayven, Krista & Becca Ritchie, Penelope Douglas, and Lisa De Jong. For Adult (10): Pepper Winters, E.K. Blair, Nora Roberts, Sylvain Reynard, Samantha Young, Caroline Kepnes, Jojo Moyes, Sylvia Day, Alessandra Torre/ A.R. Torre [she writes NA books as well] and Christina Lauren
- Always & Forever, Lara Jean by Jenny Han, OMG. Book Gods granted my wish for the third book but I hope it will not be ruined. [John Ambrose McClaren, stay away from my ship. I love you but get your own love life. Just not Lara Jean.] It comes out on 4/2017.
I am tagging:
..and tagging you! Feel free to do this tag 🙂 Have a lovely day everyone!
I was tagged by the lovely, Nicka of Readbynicka to do the Greek Mythology Tag. Thank you Nicka for tagging me! 😀
Zeus [Jupiter] | God of the Sky and Thunder | King of the Gods : Favorite Book (Choose your Own Category!)
- Aside from In the Company of Killers, one of my favorites this year is Sempre by J.M. Darhower which is a YA – NA mafia themed book [This year, mafia/assassin/mob/gang theme is my obsession]. The writing style is so good with amazing characters & family drama.
Hera [Juno] |Goddess of Marriage and Family : Cutest Book Couple
- I have multiple answers for this. My all time favorite couple is Juli Baker and Bryce Loski from Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen (both book and movie). I feel so giddy with their innocent, fluffly love story. So damn adorable!
Poseidon [Neptune] | God of the Seas and Earthquakes : Book That Drowned You with Feels
- I choose the second book of Emi Lost and Found series Time Stands Still by Lori L. Otto. My damn feels for this book. One of the best tearjerkers of all time. I still have to read the final book (My heart is too broken that’s why I haven’t read it yet. haha)
Athena (Minerva) | Goddess of Wisdom, Handicraft and Strategic Warfare: Series with the Best World Building
- Under the Never Sky trilogy by Veronica Rossi. The first book is challenging to read due to the unfamiliar terms used. What amazes me is the thrilling world building and the plot gets better as you go along the series. It’s one of those dystopia novels I want to see as a film. Much better in 3D. Give me some Smarteyes and Senses. (Not Aether storms. They’re scary.)
Hades (Pluto) | God of the Underworld : Favorite Book with a Dark / Ominous Plot
- Dangerous Boys by Abigail Haas. I trust this author when it comes to YA mystery novels. This book might not be as mindfuck as Dangerous Girls but it has more gore and the characters are legit twisted.
Aphrodite (Venus) | Goddess of Love and Beauty : Most Beautiful Cover on 2016 release
- I’m a sucker for blue covers and Wicked Heart by Leisa Rayven is totally my favorite cover of 2016. This is the third book in the Starcrossed series but can be read as a standalone.
Ares (Mars) | God of War and Bloodshed : Most Violent Book You’ve Read
- The Life of Anna novella series by Marissa Honeycutt. This book is also the darkest one I’ve ever read. It has a lot of trigger warnings [Taboo story, abuse in all forms and you don’t want me to mention it all here] and will test your comfort zone. I’ve only read part 1 and it drained me. Cringe-y
Hephaestus (Vulcan) | God of Blacksmiths and Fire : Scorching Hot Swoon Worthy Character
- I have to pick only ONE? Damn, I got a long list for this one. HAHA! The scorching hot swoon worthy character for me is Professor Gabriel Owen Emerson from Gabriel’s Inferno by Sylvain Reynard. HOT DAMN DANTE SPECIALIST. He’s romantic, passionate, sexy-inferno-hot guy. Just imagine David Gandy 😉 (You’re welcome!)
Artemis (Diana) | Goddess of the Hunt and Virginity : Favorite Kickass Heroine
- Without any doubt, Lisbeth Salander from The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. Hands down for this woman. Why? She’s a professional hacker with a photographic memory, hates misogynists, Hurt her or her love ones – she’ll get a bigger weapon and do the worse. She’s one character that can never be underestimated. She’s dangerous despite of her fragility. She’s my spirit animal.
Phoebus Apollo | God of Light and Healing : Sequel Book that Redeemed its Series
- I really like City of Bones. However, I become more engrossed to continue The Mortal Instruments series because of City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare. It has a huge improvement than the first one. 🙂
Hermes (Mercury) | Messenger God of Thieves and Commerce : Book with the Best Message
- For One More Day by Mitch Albom – Love, Appreciate and Spend Quality time with your parents. Don’t wait for the time you’ll regret that you weren’t able to show how much you love them once they leave this world.
Hestia (Vesta) | Goddess of the Hearth and Home : Book with the Most Relatable Story
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. There are times you feel left out on a group of friends and you had a hard time getting along with people. Sometimes you pretend to be someone just to get in the crowd. This book is truly relatable and touching. It makes me remember that each of us is unique, we can do what we want and just be yourself.
Demeter (Ceres) | Goddess of Fertility and Agriculture : Favorite Bookish Setting
- Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. Always ❤
Dionysus (Bacchus) | God of Wine and Celebration : 2016 Release You are Most Anticipating
- Only a few days to go. Broken Prince by Erin Watt is coming out. MY GAME FACE IS ON FOR THIS BOOK.
I am tagging these lovely bloggers to do the tag:
and YOU! Please feel free to do this tag if you want to 😉
I was tagged by the lovely, Ari of The Daydreaming Bookworm to do the Book Pastry Tag. Thank you for tagging me! 🙂 I’m trying not to get hungry because of these pastries. Haha! Let’s start shall we:
Croissant: Name a Popular Book or Series That Everyone (Including You) Love
- Aside from Harry Potter series which majority of us love, I have to say Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan. This is one of my all time favorites and it made me love Greek Mythology. [It helped me on my Literature class and made me push to read Mythology by Edith Hamilton — which is a classic novel and not my cup of tea]
Macaron: Name a book that was hard to get through but worth it at the end
- The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. It took me months to finish this book and Stieg Larsson’s writing style is quite challenging to get through. I even fell asleep while reading it. The pace starts to pick up by 50% mark until the end and I love it. It’s a worth read because I met my favorite badass heroine, Lisbeth Salander.
Vol-Au-Vent: Name a book that you thought would be amazing but fell flat
- Never Never Part 3 by Colleen Hoover and Tarryn Fisher. I’m expecting a mind blowing ending for this.. Oh well.. It’s an underwhelming ending. 🙂
Pain Au Chocolat: Name a book that you thought to be one thing but turned out to be something else
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. I really thought this is a horror novel because the cover and its vintage pictures looked eerie. It turned out to be a time travel fantasy. I’ve been punk’d.
Profiterole: Name a book or series that doesn’t get enough attention
- I have a lot of answers for this but I choose Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen. It is one of the cases I’ve watched the movie first and read the book after (because I didn’t know it’s based on a book). I love them equally and I think this book is one of the best YA contemporary romance novels I’ve read.
Croquembouche: Name a book or series that’s extremely complex
- Without any doubt, In the Company of Killers series by J.A. Redmerski. I’m obsessed with this series. I love the characters, plot twists, romance, action scenes and writing style. Believe it or not, it keeps getting better. I highly recommend this series.
Napolean: Name a movie or TV show based off a book that you liked better than the book itself
- A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks. Though I shed some tears on the book, it didn’t made me cry hard unlike the movie version. Shane West and Mandy Moore portrayed the characters really well.
Empanada: Name a book that was bittersweet
- The Crown by Kiera Cass. My heart breaks because my ship didn’t sail. Still, The Selection series is fun to read. I’m just going to shake off my bitterness. haha!
Kolompeh: Name a book or series that takes place somewhere other than your home country
- So many options for me, I pick Girl with a Pearl Earring by Tracey Chevalier. The book takes place on Netherlands. 🙂
Pate a Choux: Name one food from a book or series that you would like to try
- Seriously every food mentioned in the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. When there’s a feast on Hogwarts.. damn. Even the candies from the Hogwarts Express trolley. Talk about BUTTER BEER. I want to try this too.
If you want to do this tag, I’m officially tagging YOU! 😉 Have a great day lovelies!
I stumble on this new tag and I really like the questions. If I’m going to be the ruler of books, these are the things that I want to do in my bookish world. This tag is created by Ariel Bissett (click her name to watch the original tag video). Let’s get this started:
What book would you make everyone read?
- Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen. This is probably one of the most underrated YA novel I’ve encountered. The innocence, realistic and genuine love story captivated me. Also, there are other issues tackled
What would you abolish in book construction?
- Excerpts / Teasers. There are moments you want to take a sneak peek on the sequels or on the other books but I just don’t like the cliffhanger. Also, when you thought the book is 465 pages long.. the reality the excerpt for the sequel/other book is 30 pages long. [I just find it annoying]
What author would you commission to write you any book?
- Katja Millay. She is the author of The Sea of Tranquility and to be honest, her writing is beautiful and needs more appreciation. I definitely want her to write books more than ever.
What book would you demote to the library basement to make room for new books?
- Fifty Shades trilogy by E.L. James. Though I enjoyed books 2 and 3, this is an overrated erotica series and I’ll replace it with other ones that I think are written better.
What cover artist would you commission to make a mural?
- The cover artist for The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, Helen Musselwhite.
What characters face would you put on a coin?
- Professor McGonagall from Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. Who wouldn’t love her? she’s one professor that I really adore.
What book would you award the “Ruler of Books” 2016 Prize to?
- In the Company of Killers series by J.A. Redmerski. At the moment, this series reigned on my Top Books of 2016 and I can’t separate them because all the 6 books that are currently out are equally brilliant and badass.
I am tagging these awesome people to do this tag:
If you aren’t tag and you want to do it, please feel free to do this. 🙂 It’s really fun!
It’s time for another book tag. Thank you JM of Book Freak Revelations for tagging me to do the RIP IT OR SHIP IT Book tag. I’ve seen this a lot on YouTube. It’s really funny when characters from different books are paired up. Some of them are interesting and some of are just.. NO WAY. I wrote the character names in tiny pieces of papers and just pick them randomly. Without further ado, let’s begin.
Continue reading “The RIP IT or SHIP IT Book Tag”