I’m back for another series of Exploring Tropes where I recommend books based on tropes and since it’s Halloween season, originally I’ll go for dark romance. However, I want to be more specific and I’ve chosen Vengeance / Revenge Romance. Either the hero / heroine wants to take revenge to other people, or takes revenge on one another.
It’s difficult for readers to venture this because it will surely enrage you and question your morality. Also, some of these have problematic content toxic relationships) and trigger warnings such as violence, abuse, and revenge plots. It’s your discretion to jump into it and test your comfort zone. Here are the revenge romance books I’ve enjoyed:
- Raze by Tillie Cole – I’ve read this one early this year and glad this is my first ever Tillie Cole book I’ve read. It’s character driven and has a dark, gritty vibe. I’m not the biggest fan of the other trop (amnesia) but this one is greatly done.
- Raw by Belle Aurora – When I was reading this, I was on the edge of my seat. Sinisterly dark and sexy. Twitch is my man. The series is complete and don’t worry about the cliffhangers. I swear, Lexi and Twitch’s crazy journey is worthwhile.
- Kill Switch by Penelope Douglas – The Devil’s Night series centers on revenge but if I’m picking between Corrupt and Kill Switch, I’ll go with Kill Switch. Damon is probably one of the best anti-heroes. You will hate him in the beginning but I guarantee you’ll absolutely love him on this book. *throws morality out of the window.
- Siren by Jaimie Roberts – This is more of a romantic thriller / romance about a woman who takes revenge on her abuser and her trauma turned her into femme fatale. Scarlet is one of the baddest bitches ever and while she has all the reasons to revenge, she also faced consequences. I swear. So fucking good.
- Debt Inheritance by Pepper Winters – I love my dark romance queen Pepper Winters and the plot of this series is INSANE. Never ending revenge that took hundreds of years to end. It can be overwhelming so you need a lighthearted romance as backup. Still, it’s ridiculously good.
- Debt by Nina G. Jones – Probably one of the most underrated dark romances ever existed. It was recommended to me by my book girlfriend years ago and this is one book I wished there’s a sequel. If you love Raw by Belle Aurora, you might love this one.
- Twisted Pride by Cora Reilly – This is the third book in the Camorra Chronicles series and I highly recommend you read the books in chronological order. Remo Falcone (The Camorra’s Capo) abducted his enemy’s niece as revenge and it’s their romance. It’s so screwed up but he redeemed himself in the end.
- Monster in His Eyes by J.M. Darhower – Age gap romance + Mafia Romance + Revenge Romance = It’s a package. Karina & Naz’s romance is sexy and thrilling.
- Pretty Reckless by L.J. Shen – It’s the spin-off to the Sinners of Saint series and features a new generation of characters. There’s so much angst and the sexual tension between the characters is intense and palpable.
Those are the revenge romance books I enjoyed. Have you read any books that has revenge romance? Any favorites? I’d love to hear your thoughts on the comments.