It’s time for another TOP 5 WEDNESDAY. This weekly meme is created by Lainey of Ginger Reads Lainey and with its new host, Sam of Thoughts on Tomes you can check out the weekly topics on the Top 5 Wednesday – Goodreads Page. For this week’s topic: Books with “Hard” Topics. This is such an interesting topic and readers are often challenge with this as they are thought provoking or maybe out of their comfort zone. Some of the books I will mention have trigger warnings.
Here are my top 5 books:
- Me Before You by Jojo Moyes – The hype surrounds on this book because it’s going to be a movie this coming June and I’m really excited to see its adaptation. I love how the author tackles several issues on this but the most thought provoking issue is about euthanasia / assisted suicide. I will not emphasize more about it to avoid spoilers. I really enjoyed this book and it’s one of the most emotional books I’ve ever read It’s a must read.
- Addicted to You by Krista and Becca Ritchie – This New Adult novel centers on addiction. The main characters are best friends (A sex addict and an alcoholic) and both are battling their demons. They pretend to be in a relationship to conceal their addictions from their families. The story is greatly executed and the characters are dynamic and have wonderful character developments. I recommend this for 18+ because of the explicit scenes.
- Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma – I’ve read this book years ago. For a YA book, this is one of the best forbidden romance / thought provoking books ever written. I’ll say this is somewhat in between YA and NA. The story is really dark for me as it focuses about incest.
- Bang by E.K. Blair – This was recommended to me by my book girlfriend, Rhyzza and it’s something I didn’t expect at all. This is a psychosexual thriller and it’s about revenge and abuse. I cannot say this book is for everyone because of that topic and the story is REALLY DARK and some scenes will make you CRINGE. Not that I’m scaring you or anything but it made me scream like a banshee. The story is so twisted and I love it. Read at your own risk. READ RESPONSIBLY. For 18+ years old readers only!
- Firsts by Laurie Elizabeth Flynn – This 2016 debut novel is one of the most unique books I’ve read in YA as it centers about sex. The story is about a girl who offers virgin boys a sex lesson so they can give their girlfriends a pleasurable “first time”. It’s very unusual for a YA book and as a reader, you must keep an open mind about it. The story is really great and of course the main character learned her lessons in the end.
Have you read any of these books? What are some of the books that you’ve read that has “hard” topics? Share your thoughts on the comments below 🙂